Tuesday, December 30, 2014

I'll Gladly Pay You...Next Wednesday

This is my friend, Glen. For the last few years I will hear a pretend yawn, "Hey buddy..."

~End of 1st Year
A pretend yawn, "Hey buddy."
     "Hi Glen. How goes it today?"
"Boy," with an overworked look each time, "I could really use a cold drink right now..."
     "Sure; the regular Dr. Pepper?"
Thoughtful pause, "Yeah...I like Dr. Pepper...better make it a Dr. Pepper...and...I promise to pay you back...hmm...next Tues...how about next Wednesday? Yeah, I promise to pay you back next Wednesday. Is that ok, buddy?"
     "Of course. Here you go, Glen."
"Thank you and I promise to pay you back because you're my friend."

~End of 2nd Year
"Hey Glen, every time I see you I say your name. How come even though I have told you my name many times you never say mine?" My pride.
With a frown of frustration, "I'm sorry...I try to remember...but I have a hard time remembering some things..."

~End of 3rd Year
"Did I ever tell you why I can't remember...things?"
With the most tender mind, "I remember before being born and I remember fighting inside my birth mom, yelling at her to stop taking drugs and alcohol! She wouldn't listen to me! So when I was born half my brain was damaged. The doctors told my adoptive parents and that I would have problems but they adopted me anyway. So I am glad to be alive. I just wish I could have asked my birth mom why she did drugs..."

As I get to know Glen day by day, he teaches me how to be gentle and a gentleman.

*It might take a little while, but even though he does not have to, Glen doesn't forget and always remembers to pay for his drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment