Thursday, August 14, 2014

Life Advice From Dr. Pepper

This is my friend, Adolph, but folks call him AG.
Twice a day he strolls the mall to rehab his double knee replacements and eight other surgeries. Daily salutation, "Getting ready for a busy day, eh? Get me a...medium Dr. Pepper. Uh, better make it a Diet Dr. Pepper. How's business?"
     "It is slow but I am trying to keep busy." smilingly I reply.
"Well, you gotta get ready for a busy day. It will come." (Points his finger at me) "But don't work to hard and take it easy, ok?"
     "Yes sir."
"Yeah, gotta get ready for a busy day. You take it easy, ok?"
     "I will, AG."

For 49 years through 16 hour days, AG ran a Mexican restaurant and worked tirelessly to make the American dream. The last couple years, he shares with me earnestly, "Let me tell you something. Don't work too hard just for money. I had it all but never got to enjoy any of it because I was always working. Before I knew it I'm like this now. It's not worth it. Your health and spending time with your family is the most valuable thing. My job now is to tell everyone to enjoy life while you can. I am not going to be around much longer. But maybe one day you will realize what I said and thank me in your mind."

This repetitive liturgy everyday gets prosaic but maybe I should take time to consider. Back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment